If your Excel exports are not opening in Excel, you can change this in the browser configuration.
In Internet Explorer 10, this is done with the following steps:
- From the menu select Tools >> Internet Options.
- Click on the Programs Tab.
- Click in the 'Set Programs' button.
- Select 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
- Click on the xls file extension.
- Click the 'Change Program' button.
- Select the Excel program and save.
You can ignore the warning about the file being in the wrong format.